Don't act like y'all don't know where we be neither.



Subscribe in a reader

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Be Jealous - Cheese Straws and Black Coffee

I'm having cheese straws and black coffee for breakfast...and not doing much else.

Photobucket

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2008/12/cheese-straws.html

A coworker made 'em. He got his Grandma's recipes when she passed. There's some pecan fudge in there and something that taste like a homemade Rollo...but it's the Cheese Straws.

These are sharp ones with heat you can taste. The coffee's bitter and cuts the tang. Like a piece of candy made with cheese grits and heavy cream. I've had bites of filet that weren't this satisfying.

A frigid Cokecola would be even better...but what can't be improved on is the music.



The fella that wrote the bio can be forgiven for referring to R.L. Burnside as an American musician...the writer doesn't seem to be from the U.S...when he is quite obviously a Southern musician. Show me connecticut's or minnesota's answer to Burnside and I'll eat my words like a cheese straw.

What can't be forgiven is the insistence that he is a Delta Bluesman...or has any special connection to The Delta whatsoever. He didn't...full stop. He was from the Hill Country and he played Hill Country Blues.



Aside from the usual brilliance (check that blossoming ring toward the end...the trance he's inducing is only a set up, preparing your mind for a look behind the curtains, for a whiff of transcendence)...this is a bit of a put on too. Before Robert Palmer and Fat Possum...the few folks that came down to record RL Burnside and some of the others wanted the acoustic guitar. Matthew Johnson was very clear when they got Fat Possum together about presenting these players as they were on Sunday nights in Mississippi...plugged in and lewd.

"The Blues ain't nothin' but dance music," R. L. Burnside.

The ethnologists often have a very specific, preconceived idea about the Blues and the people that play it...a very Delta idea (*&^% Delta). This is the same bunch that had a litter of kittens when Mississippi Fred McDowell picked up and electric guitar and...THE VAPORS!!!...brought on a white bass player. The American Studies Department at Yale had to shut down for a week.



Look at the pictures and the difference between the staged photos and how he presented himself on stage. It's the same issue I have with the concept of "folk art"...the suggestion that these people don't have a sophisticated aesthetic understanding of what they are doing...that it really boils down to dumb expression brought on by material pressures.

And cheese straws are just a poor man's attempt at cheezits.

Kiss My Grits!!!

7 comments:

  1. I really don't know how I got from point a to point b on this one...my mind is really a little bit of a mess. This sorta things happens more often than I let on here...usually it's just between me and the windshield.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheese straws: never had em. Can't say I mind. I'm a cheezits girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust me on this...if like things like cheezits...you would loose your mind with these things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Normally I'd agree with you about folk art as a condescending term for quite sophisticated or at least quite lovely compositions, but I've got some terrific folk art on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that...ha!

    What was that...a squid?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not fair e.f. you made me hungry for something I cannot have! And coffee on its own...bleurgh...

    Yeah - we are good at patronising what we don't much understand - and displaying our crass idiocy in the process. And "folk art" is just one of a multitude of things in that category.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coffee (maybe a little chicory) and a cup...the way God intended it.

    I did at least post links to a recipe. Considering y'all can use the the succulent raw cheese...you could return the favor and make me super jealous.

    This business about Folk Art (or the labeling as) and caricatures of Blues players is part of wider issue concerning The South and how it's perceived, packaged, and presented...an issue that threatened to consume this post for a moment until I thought better of it.

    Another time.

    ReplyDelete